Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ticked beyond belief

Actually, another word would better describe my feelings right now. BUT since MckMama used it recently and her situation is truly so much more than mine I'll leave it to her.

I know I never blog anymore. I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with FB, although all I ever have time to do is check it and field Sweet Shop requests, and things like THE LAUNDRY. Anyway, this morning I got up when I heard Connor's door close and he didn't come into my bedroom. He had headed downstairs and I could hear the sounds of Sean's DS, and Sean yelling, coming up the stairs. I knew there was no snuggling in my future so I went down as well. Surprisingly, Sean chose eggs over Cinnamon Rolls so I decided to attempt to make a fritatta without a recipe. Fortunately, I made one a few months back so it turned out well (I kind of remembered the ingredients!).

Finally, I sit down to read the paper. It's not much anymore but my family has been reading the Express News since way before I was born. The Life section was fine, not much content but I love the advice columns. Glanced through the Real Estate section to see all the deals on the houses we can't buy because with the market we probably couldn't sell ours anyway--thus the deals on the other houses! All is well until I head to the Metro section.

Page 3 the top of the page reads: GOP backs abortion bill, averts its (sic) eyes from CPS. Hmmmmm.... It's about the bill, hallelujah, to require doctors perform an ultrasound on women considering an abortion including the sound of the heartbeat. The next paragraph reads: "Call it the "harass people coping with tragedy" bill..."

I tried to read the rest of the article but to be honest I was so angry I couldn't see straight. Rather than continuing to work myself up I'm just going to paste in the letter I sent to the editor of the paper (the column was written by the politics/government editor). Since San Antonio is still a fairly conservative family oriented city (not to mention predominantly Catholic) I assume Mr. Richter (the editor of the paper Mr. Stroud wrote the column) will be inundated with calls and emails but at least I had my say. Now if I can just let it go so I can enjoy my newspaper free weekend! And they wonder why people turn to FOX...

(I forgot a heading but since it's directly emailed I think he'll know it's to him)
Okay, that's it, I'm done. You have finally pushed me to the point that I will no longer read your newspaper. I refuse to have a paper in my home that would allow the editorial Mr. Stroud wrote for today's paper.

A tragedy is having your home destroyed by a hurricane, fire, tornado, etc. A tragedy is a fine doctor, family, child, or any innocent person killed by a repeat drunk driver. A tragedy is losing a child, father, mother or anyone you love to a fatal disease. Being pregnant is NOT a tragedy. Choosing to abort an innocent child is a tragedy to me. Even more so, choosing to abort a child when you are young, ill-informed, and brain-washed by our society that it is not a child at all, only to realize after you make this horrible choice that you have in fact aborted your child is a TRAGEDY. This bill will allow pregnant women a better understanding of the choice they are making but still, unfortunately, allows them the right to make that choice.

Allowing an editor to spout off with his pro-abortion, hatefilled rhetoric is a tragedy to me as my family has been loyal Express News readers since before I was even born. I'm so angry and disgusted I'm shaking as I type this. I read only the first two paragraphs to my husband and he immediately told me to cancel our subscription. As he said, we can get any news we want online. Perhaps you should have considered your readership, and lack thereof, before you allowed Mr. Stroud to spout off. Despite the views of the media, I believe many in our beautiful city will find this offensive beyond belief.

Deborah Deel

Okay, shoot, apparently my email spellcheck is lacking and doesn't know the word rhetoric (but Blogspot's does). Wait I even double checked on word. So now I've emailed a letter to the editor of the paper with a spelling typo, drat, drat,drat!!!!

No comments: