Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Feelin' sorry for myself

I don't know what is with me today. I'm just draggy and feeling down. Actually, it's probably related to my doctor visit yesterday. I really thought she would just check my thyroid and tell me it felt fine like the last visit. Instead it was an ultrasound and, unfortunately, didn't look fine at all. The nodules have filled again and she is concerned about one of the growths that was inconclusive before because it didn't have enough cells. Apparently now it does. To make things even more fun I have to wait until June 30 to even get the biopsy.

Now logically, I know this is because it is not a dire situation. If they find something the will just remove my thyroid. In fact even if they don't they will remove it anyway if the nodule fills after they drain it this time (yuck right!). I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself because it looks like somewhere in the next 3-12 months I will most likely be having it removed. Even worse, my levels are still normal so I can't even blame it for not losing weight even thought I'm really seriously working out right now. Once they remove it I'm stuck on medication the rest of my life and from what I read it's a fun time trying to get the levels right.

Anyway, that's my sob story for today. Not much in the way of problems I know but it's bringing me down. Which in turn makes me feel whiney and ungrateful when I think about people with real problems!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your nodule is cyst [fluid filled; hence they drained it]if it is benign you may ask your doctor to perform PEI treatment [this procedure is used worldwide and here in the US, in California and Florida] by thyroid doctors as outpatient alternative for the surgery. It will not hurt to ask about it. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

One more thing: the procedure to take biopsy sample from cystic nodules is done in 2 steps:
first the fluid[blood or colloid] is aspirated and collected;
then the US-guided biopsy sample is obtained from solid components of the complex cysts.
If nodule is blood-filled, it indicates cystic degeneration of the solid nodule, often with macrophages and partially decomposed blood present in the sample. Unless microfollicular sheets are found the nodule most likely benign.

Deborah said...

Wow O.T.,thanks for all the info! I'll be sure to remember and bring up the PEI treatment if it comes to that point. So far the findings were benign, even so, my doctor said if they fill a third time she would remove the thyroid. Hopefully, it won't come to that or they can look into your suggestion.