Thursday, September 3, 2009

MDO, what have they done

I was so excited to go to Connor's MDO orientation last night. We changed churches because his previous MDO only does 3 hours for 3 year olds and is pretty pricey for those 6 hours a week. I thought I was so lucky to get into another program which has a great reputation and is for 5 hours twice a week.

During the summer I received some mail about new classrooms but didn't think much of it. I'd been shown large bright rooms with windows and bathrooms when I picked up the application and dropped off my first check back in March. Last night they proudly (???) sent us over to the old sanctuary to see the only classroom that was complete with the assurance the rest would be done before the following Tuesday. We walked into a room with windows at only the entrance and what looked alot like office wall dividers creating "classrooms". That would be dividers slightly higher than my head where they stopped. That's right no ceiling except the sanctuary ceiling WAY over my head. So essentially Connor will be in a large open area with some dividers and however many kids they are from 18 mo's to 3 years. I didn't count the other class sizes but his has 18 kids in a small space!

I'm so frustrated I've barely cried even though I desperately want to. I've gotten on one waiting list and have a call in to another MDO. If I'd had any idea that this church was going to preempt the MDO rooms to expand it's Pre-K and Kinder (higher tuition perhaps?) I would have NEVER applied. MDO programs are impossible to get into in my part of town and now I'm stuck trying to decide if I should send him to what feels like a large basement full of screaming kids--without nearby bathrooms BTW--or keep him home until I can find somewhere else, which may mean all year. Oh, shoot, NOW I am crying. To top it off they've already got over $300 of our non-refundable money and want another monthly payment of $175 by the 15th of this month.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Oh my goodness Deborah! I am so sorry! That sounds super frustrating! I cannot believe how much they charge y'all. I am so thankful that our church has such a nice MDO and it's affordable. Good luck finding something else!

Summer Willard said...

Wow! That's too bad. I had no idea that MDO could charge that much! Our church has MDO 3 days a week for 5 hours each day. And it's like $15/day per child! You should do some checking around.....I hope you find something soon! :)