Thursday, January 7, 2010

San Antonio Silliness or Save us We're Freezing to Death

Okay, I admit I'm cold. I admit, I'm seriously seriously laughing at the whole Global Warming thing because it's gosh darn cold this year (but I still Recycle because Global Warming or not we are supposed to be stewards of the earth and we have abused it). Still, I just got an email from Sean's school titled "Inclement Weather". It went on to note they would open at 6:45 so parents could drop kids off early rather than make them wait for the bus. I do appreciate that, although we don't get bus service, as I hate to think of cold kiddos, still...when did 25 degree temps w/out any precipitation equal inclement weather. Yes, it's cold. Yes, it's been cold longer than most years but it's no 11 below with icy roads.

I bought the kids hats and gloves. I shaved the fuzz off an old wool coat to wear for myself--I usually only need jackets. But people here are acting like a blizzard is bearing down. As one who lived in slightly colder temperatures (okay West Texas but it SNOWS and gets down in the teens not to mention the vicious wind chill) 25 is uncomfortable but doable. I can see worrying about the homeless of which I'm sure we have a higher population due to the normally temperate winters. I can see worrying about our animals. My dog hates the house so she'll be sleeping in the garage on blankets with a heated fan. Okay yes, I was afraid of the space heater because of the amount of junk that could burn in our garage! It's not really that cold in there so she'll be fine.

I just imagine those in, as MckMama calls it, the Frozen Tundra getting a look at our dire newscasts and laughing themselves silly! Now, excuse me, I have to go feed the dog and turn on her heater :-)

2 comments:

Janet said...

It has been below freezing all day outside, but I have stayed nice and toasty inside! :) It does seem to get colder up here to me, and man we sure can have wind like no other!!! That windchill is lethal here!

Deborah said...

When Mike visited San Angelo for my 10 year Reunion he said he now understood why Central had no passing game. I just calmly sat there with my hair whipping around whiel he freaked out about the wind.

We did have gusts up to 40 mph here today though and my hands were freezing but it doesn't compare to San Angelo!