Tuesday, November 18, 2008

No sleep for Connor or Mommy

Connor has been waking up most nights for at least 3 weeks now. The first night, okay it was 5 AM, he complained his tushy hurt (although that's not the word he used--I just can't get into teaching my boys the correct terms, my mother did that and I felt weird saying them!) I took him in and they said he was probably constipated, not a surprise considering the few foods he will eat, and that he had a little tear. I should put Dr. Smith's on it and some Lotrimen in case it was fungal plus treat the constipation. He seemed a little better and less constipated then we had some more bad nights but no complaints about that area so I had his ears checked. They were fine but some molars were about to break through. Fast forward to last week. Monday and Thursday I got all of 2 hours sleep each night. The rest of the time he was awake or sleeping on me and waking up as soon as he went down. Friday he slept 6 hours then Saturday, Sunday and Monday night it was only an hour or 2 then up. I saw a different doctor yesterday and by then he was scratching and crying and it was bleeding again. She immediately told me it really sounded like Pinworms as they come out a few hours after the child goes to sleep and make it itchy. It's really all too disgusting to talk about but I'm so desperate I'm praying that is what it is.

I got the prescription but was told to check first by going in while he was asleep and checking with a flashlight for worms--and yes that is NOT the most disgusting part! It was inconclusive but I thought I saw some wormy things in his dirty diaper. Believe it or not he slept through the inspection. I thought I was home free until 12:45 when he woke up. At 2 I got him back down, he almost rose as 2:30 and was coughing but went back to sleep until 3:52. When I went in he told me he threw up, apparently that was the coughing I'd heard (!), so I stripped the bed and remade it, stripped him and "remade" him and sat down. Then I gave up and hauled him into my bed and finally he slept. Me, not so much as he slept on my arm the rolled and jammed his elbow into me and I was too afraid to move. During the prior wake-up he moaned and wiggled around trying to keep his bottom from touching anything. I called the doctor this morning and waited. Then we had another dirty diaper and I thoroughly checked it--thank goodness I never use the gloves when I color my hair, boy they came in handy--and saw some more things that MIGHT be pinworms. Just as I threw clothes on, forget hair and makeup at this point, the nurse called and said the med's wouldn't hurt him even if there was no worms. Gee, had I known that I would have given them to him yesterday in case they do the trick. So now we've had our pill and I'm praying like crazy that is the deal. If I don't get a night's sleep tonight I don't think I can function tomorrow.

Of course Mike is out of town and there is no one else to help. Honestly, he wants me anyway. I did get a nap of 1 hour today but it's not making up for the weeks of sleep I'm missing. Anyone reading this please pray my little one will be healed by this medicine. Not only is he suffering but Mommy can't take it anymore!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my goodness. I can not believe what you are having to go through. I will certainly be praying for you and Conner. That has to be horrible - for both of you. I know sleep deprivation, and it is no fun.
Did they say how long it would take for the medicine to help him?

Janet said...

Oh, I am so sorry! I know how much it stinks to have sick kids and no sleep!! Praying for both of you and hoping it is fixed soon! BIG HUGS!

Deborah said...

Well Connor slept all night last night. It would have be3en heaven except I woke up sick and continued to wake up every half hour or so! I'm really praying it was the medicine that fixed him so we can both sleep tonight. Thanks for the prayers, I really needed them.

Deanna said...

Hi there! I finally got my giveaway finalized and you won the soaps!! I left my email on the winner post...come on over and we'll talk about which soaps you want! Congrats!